Credible is an online marketplace that lets you compare student loan offers from multiple lenders. It was founded in 2013 in San Francisco as a tool to empower borrowers to shop rates and products. The platform allows students to see personalized rates from multiple lenders with one application (those that the borrower qualifies for).
Credible is a free online loan marketplace. It lets you compare lenders and rates for student loan refinancing and private student loans. Credible doesn’t do any lending itself; it earns commissions from the lenders on its platform.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Credible
- You Can Check Prequalified Rates for Free.
- Does Not Sell Your Data to Other Lenders.
- Credit Not Affected by Pre-Qualification.
- Easy & Seamless Loan Process.
- Covers up to 100% of School Expenses.
- Offers Refinancing.
- Shows Only Loaners You Qualify For.
- Further Research Into Loaners Necessary.
- No Rate Discount for Using Credible.
- Not All Terms & Conditions Listed.
Benefits of Credible
- Comprehensive. With its list of reputable lenders, Credible has a database of different student loan options that users can select from.
- Flexible. Credible offers users a plethora of repayment terms ranging from 5-20 years, along with diverse refinancing options from different lenders.
- Reputable. Credible is a BBB-accredited business with an A+ rating. It has an excellent rating of 4.7-star rating with Trustpilot, based on more than 5,200 reviews. It also has a 4.6-star rating with U.S. News Money.
- Well-Established. Credible has helped over 2.2 million users find and compare pre-qualified student loan rates from different lenders.
- User-friendly. Users can use Credible to get a list of lenders within minutes and at no cost. If you agree to the terms of a refinance loan that the company showcases, Credible receives a fee from their partner lender. This does not impact the amount you pay the lender or the terms of your loan.
What does Credible offer in terms of loans?
Credible lets you compare interest rates from multiple private student loan lenders; it doesn’t originate loans. Anyone can use Credible, but you’ll need to meet the individual qualifications of any lender on its platform. The current list of student loan lenders that Credible partners with includes:
- Citizens Bank
- College Ave
- Custom Choice
- Sallie Mae
Credible offers prequalified rates on loans including:
- Personal loans.
- Mortgage refinancing.
- Student loans.
- Student loan refinancing.
How to use Credible?
The process is fairly simple. Begin by selecting the type of loan you’re interested in, and fill out a form request. Questions will be about your finances and your education (if you’re looking into student loan refinancing). You also have the option of adding a potential co-signer’s information to improve your chances of qualifying. This is helpful if you do not have a lot of established credit or ample income.
The whole process should take about two minutes. If you are eligible for any of Credible partners’ products, you’ll then receive a list of each lender’s prequalified rates. You can use filters to further refine your list as needed.
Users can then do their own independent research to further vet the results and choose the loan that’s best for their needs. You can send your information directly to the lender via Credible.
Terms of using Credible
There are no requirements to use Credible, but if you choose to refinance your student loan through one of its lending partners, you must:
- Be 18 years old or older
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Have at least $5,000 or more in student loan debt from a qualifying institution
If you don’t meet one or more of these requirements, you can still apply if you have a co-signer who meets all three requirements and has a fair credit score.
Loan eligibility, fees, discounts, as well as forbearance and discharge options are dependent on the lender you choose. Credible has no role in any of these terms.
How it works
Get a Personalized Rate Estimate
Compare Different Rates and Lenders
Choose a Lender and Apply for Loan
Start by filling out a short form on Credible’s website with information about the school you’re attending, the amount you want to borrow, and your income and expenses. This step doesn’t affect your credit score. If you’re applying with a co-signer, they will need to complete this form too. Then, you’ll be asked to create a Credible account.
After you and your co-signer complete the pre-qualification form, you’ll see a dashboard with all the loan options you may qualify for. You’ll likely see multiple options from the same lender, each with a different term length or interest rate. To narrow the choices, filter the results to show the repayment plan, interest rate type, term length, and monthly payment amount.
Take your time researching your options before deciding. You’ll be dealing with the lender you choose for years after you leave college so make sure it offers features you might need, like flexibility for borrowers struggling to make payments.
If you choose a lender to move forward with, you’ll be asked to provide more information and the lender will run a hard credit check to confirm the final offer. After completing these steps through Credible, the lender contacts you to finalize the loan.
Juno in combination with Credible was a great way to find out the best rates for you. Throw away all the mailers. The teaser rates are not likely what you will receive. Credible gave me my rates from a group of providers, some you've heard of and some you many not have. I was shocked with the range of rates and went with an awesome smaller company that I've never heard of, but who has been around for a long time with a great reputation. I got the same rep when I called twice with questions. Using Credible was seriously the best decision I made in my research process.
Great customer experience and very user friendly. Credible helped me compare rates and pick the best option for my situation. The refinance worked out great and they even sent me a gift card reward after the refinance completed.
If you’re unsure about which student loan lender is right for you, Credible is a useful tool to help you narrow down your options. Its prequalification tool saves you from entering your information on multiple websites and doesn’t affect your credit score. Credible can be a good choice for those who are curious about options for refinancing their student loans, though the company itself is not a direct lender. Credible has more than 100 lender options available and the process to vet your qualification is almost instant.